Tuesday 4 October 2011

Affordances continued....

This week we discussed in class aesthetics, spirituality, health and how these connect with each other in the activities we do. I now wish to share an example of how this week’s simple task of baking connected me with others, my loved ones, and how the tastes, smells and textures triggered fond memories and past significant events that have influenced my life. Enjoy :)

This week’s cooking task was to create a cake for my friend’s birthday. In preparation of creating the cake the immediate aesthetic properties of baking rushed into my mind- the tastes, smells, thought of delicious melted chocolate, lashings of cream, coloured icing and the appealing texture.

When planning the recipe, design and what ingredients I could use I felt a sense of connection, where memories triggered in my mind of moments where in the past loved ones have taught me many cake making skills and where they have shared successful recipes. My desire was to create a black forest gateau, layered with berries, cream and chocolate. This desire triggered the memories of where Nana shared her delicious chocolate cake recipe with my mother. I was immediately on the phone to mum to hunt down nanas famous chocky cake recipe! I chose to use the cherries that I had already preserved in a jar as the berries in the middle layer. I felt a sense of connection here to as in the summer holidays I had spent time with nana preserving this fruit, where she taught me the ways of preserving fruit so I could bring some down to Dunedin to eat during the winter months when peaches, cherries and nectarines are expensive.

 Throughout the process of cooking the cake I felt my view on health influenced the activity profoundly. I felt like I was under controlled conditions with “Bad Rachel” whispering one thing in my ear, “Lick the spoon, do it”, whereas on the other shoulder “Good Rachel” whispered “Don’t do it, think of the calories!”. I was constantly aware in the back of my mind about my current diet ambitions to lose weight and that licking the bowl and nibbling at the delicious, chocolate smothered, gooey batter wouldn’t do my stomach roll any good. However in contrast to this, the endurance of the activity would be doing my health a great deal. Transporting the groceries from the supermarket to the flat certainly gave my arms a work out, and the crushing of the four chocolate bars using the rolling pin certainly gave my hands and poor fingers a run for their money!

In relation too occupational therapy intervention, Haley (2004)  states that the activity of baking enables clients the opportunity to acquire new skills and, importantly increase confidence while producing an end product, which essentially stimulates the clients to attend  treatment sessions, influencing on there health and wellbeing in a positive manner. The engagement in baking also influences  participants' desire to add structure to their daily routine which was also positive impacts  there health and wellbeing.
 
<--- The finished product! A bit rough on the appearance side of things, but man did it taste good!!!













References:
Haley, L., & McKay, E. (2004, March 1). Baking Gives You Confidence: Users Views of Engaging in the Occupation of Baking. The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 67(3), 125-128.

No comments:

Post a Comment